Public Transport – review of bus routes
The purpose of review was consider the bus routes in the areas of Denne, Trafalgar and Forest Neighbourhood Councils; and to identify what bus services are available, the routes they take, the location of bus stops and shelters, and the frequency of those services; and to find out if the bus services meet the needs of the towns residents.
The report can be down loaded from here: Review of Horsham bus routes
- Horsham Cycing Forum’s (HCF) report “Joined-Up Horsham” considers how the towns disparate cycle routes can be “joined up” to provide a coherent network of cycle routes into and around the town centre. Whilst the report is now several years old much of the content is still relevant.
The report can be downloaded from here: Joined-up-cycling.
- In addition HCF has produced a briefing paper highlighting the importance of good connectivity between adjacent areas for people walking or cycling. Many cul-de-sacsin Horsham District either have no connectivity at all or the links are of very poor quality. This leads to poor social safety and to unnecessary conflict between people on bikes and those who are walking.. For many people, this lack of usable cycle links means they need to use the main road which makes cycling an unattractive option.
The briefing paper can be downloaded from here: Cycle-and-pedestrian-links
- West Sussex County Council Walking & Cycling Strategy The West Sussex Walking and Cycling Strategy is designed to complement the Government’semerging Cycling and Walking Investment Strategy and sets out the County Council’s aims andobjectives forwalking and cycling together with our priorities for investment in infrastructureimprovements and contains a list of more than 300 potential schemes.
Links to other cycling resources:
- The benefits of Investing in cycling (the British Cycling Federation – works with families, communities, policy-makersand partner organisations so that people are able to choose healthier, cleaner and cheaper journeys, with better places and spaces to move through and live in.
- Creating a Space for Cycling – A Guide for Councilors (The London Cycling Campaign – whilst targeted at London the advice given is relevant to all urban areas.
- Sustrans Design Manual for Cycle Friendly Design (Sustrans is a leading UK charityenabling people to travel by foot, bike or publictransport for more of the journeys we make every day.
- Horsham Cycling Forum (Links to resources on right hand side of page)
- West Sussex Cycling Summit 2016 (The summit organised jointly by West Sussex Cylce Forum in association with West Sussex County Council considered: The latest evidence on the wider economic and social benefits of investing in cycling; The key types of infrastructure needed to overcome barriers to mass cycling; The tools and techniques for building business cases that maximise funding opportunities;The rapid developments in engineering best-practice, and the latest guidance and regulations; what we can learn from the examples of successful authorities; and how to work together to bring about change.